Monday, September 8, 2008

The Clang of a Lie

Sometimes you hear about things that strike you as a blatant lie. Barack Obama’s recent allegation that he once considered joining the military is one such an example.

Mr Obama was asked by George Stephanopoulos of ABC's "This Week" programme whether he'd ever thought about military service and replied: "You know, I actually did. I had to sign up for Selective Service [a means of conscription in case of war] when I graduated from high school.1

"And I was growing up in Hawaii. And I have friends whose parents were in the military. There are a lot of Army, military bases there.1

"And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honourable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren't engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so, it's not an option that I ever decided to pursue."1

The aspiration was not mentioned in either of his two volumes of memoirs.1

Obama has a tough row to hoe considering that he is trying to get elected at a time when Islamo-fascists are actively attempting to fulfill their centuries old desire to conquer the world. Obama has no military background, and he is dogged with the impression that he is actually a Muslim. It does not help when he makes a slip of the tongue and actually states on a national television interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos that he is a Muslim.

"Let's not play games," he said. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come." 2

Under stress, we humans sometimes will make a misstatement, and sometimes we inadvertently reveal something that we are trying to hide. I wonder which one it was when he stated that he is a Muslim. In reference to his desire to join the military, I’d bet that one is a lie.

Links in this Blog:
1. Barack Obama 'wanted to join US military'

2. Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics

No comments: